Ballot shapes up for June 28 primary election
The next primary election will be June 28, and the candidate list has been set. Many local races have only one Republican candidate. But a few local primary races are contested, with two Republican candidates.
All but two races involve an incumbent running for reelection: Winnebago County Board District 3 and Illinois House District 90.
In the Republican primary:
- Incumbent Lori Gummow faces challenger Michael Delgado for Winnebago County Clerk.
- Until Roscoe President Mark Szula filed to run against former Representative John Cabello for Illinois House District 90, both John Cabello and Andrew Chesney were running unopposed for the Illinois General Assembly. Then Mark Szula announced his candidacy in January. State Representative Andrew Chesney remains the sole candidate for Illinois Senate District 45.
- Rockton Township trustee Randy Johnson and Winnebago County trustee Steve Schultz are vying to become Winnebago County Treasurer. The winner of the Republican primary will run against longtime incumbent Sue Goral, the sole Democrat on this list.
- Roscoe Zoning Board chairman Jay Durstock is running against former Winnebago County trustee John M. Guevara for Winnebago County Board District 3 (where Steve Schultz currently serves).
- Michelle Lewis is challenging Winnebago County trustee Paul Arena for his District 7 seat on the Winnebago County Board.
District 3 is colored "thistle green" on the County map and includes the Rock River, Riverside Park, Hononegah Forest Preserve, and many Roscoe restaurants.
District 7 is colored "pale chestnut" on the County map and includes Rock Cut State Park, Kieselberg Forest Preserve, and Roland Olson Forest Preserve.