Austin Kirwin earns Honorable Mention for the 2022- 2023 Academic All-State team
Earlier this week Austin Kirwin was given quite an honor by the IHSA. Austin was chosen as an Honorable Mention for the 2022- 2023 Academic All-State team. Austin was noted as a member of the Hononegah soccer and tennis programs as well as being a NIC 10 scholar-athlete. He was also part of the 2022 regional champion math team.
According to the IHSA website, the first record of Academic All-State awards is 1993. Hononegah students have appeared on the list several times:
- Richard Silvestrini - 1996-97 All-State
- Christopher Haab - 2004-05 Honorable Mention
- Linda Johnson - 2004-05 Honorable Mention
- Britt McMahon - 2008-09 All-State
- Sam Collins - 2013-14 All-State
- Nicole Althoff - 2015-16 Honorable Mention
- Alicia Repka - 2018-19 All-State
- Madison Bronnimann - 2019-20 Honorable Mention
- Amanda Lawrence - 2021-22 All-State
- Arun Kumar - 2021-22 Honorable Mention
Every member school in the IHSA was invited to nominate one female and male student-athlete for the honor. Nominees needed to possess a minimum 3.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) after the 7th semester, having participated in 2 IHSA-sponsored activities during each of the last two years of high school. The final piece to the honor is that each member displays citizenship.
Michael McGinnis contributed to this reporting.