Tuesday's primary election will determine November's ballot choices
Primary elections will be held Tuesday, June 28, 2022, at a polling place near you. Polls will be open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The results will decide who will appear on the general election ballot on Tuesday, November 8, 2022.
But almost all our local elections will be decided now, in the Republican primary. That's because, except for three precinct committeepersons candidates, all our local candidates are running as Republicans. Many local races have only one Republican candidate. But a few local primary races are contested, with two Republican candidates.
All but two races - Winnebago County Board District 3 and Illinois House District 90 - involve an incumbent running for reelection.
We have published profiles and analyses of all the contested local races.
- Incumbent Lori Gummow faces challenger Michael Delgado for Winnebago County Clerk.
- Roscoe President Mark Szula and former Representative John Cabello are running for Illinois House District 90.
- State Representative Andrew Chesney remains the sole candidate for Illinois Senate District 45.
- Rockton Township trustee Randy Johnson and Winnebago County trustee Steve Schultz are vying to become Winnebago County Treasurer. The winner of the Republican primary will run against longtime incumbent Sue Goral, the sole Democrat on this list.
- Roscoe Zoning Board chairman Jay Durstock is running against former Winnebago County trustee John M. Guevara for Winnebago County Board District 3 (where Steve Schultz currently serves).
- Michelle Lewis is challenging Winnebago County trustee Paul Arena for his District 7 seat on the Winnebago County Board.
Gov. J.B. Pritzker has only one rival in the Democratic primary, Beverly Miles, but six Republicans are vying for the chance to run against him in November: Darren Bailey, Richard C. Irvin, Gary Rabine, Paul Schimpf, Max Solomon, and Jesse Sullivan.
During this midterm election year, all seats in the House of Representatives are contested, including the 16th District, which includes the Stateline area. Candidates in the Republican primary for the 16th District are Darin LaHood, JoAnne Guillemette, Walt Peters, and Michael Rebresh. Adam Kinzinger is not seeking reelection. There are no Democratic candidates for the seat.
In the Senate Republican primary, Bobby Piton, Peggy Hubbard, Casey Chlebek, Matt Dubiel, Jimmy Lee Tillman II, Kathy Salvi, and Anthony Williams are competing to run against Democratic Senator Tammy Duckworth. Senator Duckworth is the only Democratic candidate, while Bill Redpath is the only Libertarian candidate.
After redistricting for the Illinois General Assembly, Rockton and Roscoe will be part of Illinois House of Representatives District 90, currently represented by Tom Demmer, and Illinois State Senate District 45, currently held by Brian Stewart. Andrew Chesney is running unopposed for Illinois Senate District 45, both in the primary and in the November election. John Cabello is running for Illinois House District 90 against Roscoe Village President Mark Szula.