Saturday at one: Hononegah's biggest test of the season
The weather looks really good for Saturday’s highly anticipated Level 3 7A IHSA Football playoff game between 11-0 Hononegah and 10-1 Batavia out of the DuKane Conference. The kickoff from Kelsey Field starts at 1 o’clock, Nov. 11, 2023. So it's recommended to come early. Get yourself a porkchop sandwich, some popcorn, and a cold drink. You're not going to want to miss this showdown of two of the best programs in 7A in the entire state of Illinois.
Notable players for Batavia Bulldogs:
- Charlie Whelpley RB (5.5 avg), 8 TD
- Ryan Boe 6’3” 205lb, Verbal commit North Dakota State University (NDSU) 2,118 yds, 21 TDs and 2 Ints - dual threat, 65% passer
- 2 sports athlete Ben Fiegel 6’3” 215lb TE/LB
Notable players for Hononegah Indians:
- Cole Warren 6’2” 190lb, SR, QB 25 TDs
- Isaiah Houi WR/KR/DB, Verbal commit to Northern Iowa
- Andre Pilgrim 6’4” 215lb, DE/TE, 6 sacks
Batavia is coming off a 2022 state runner-up loss to Mt Carmel in the 7A IHSA football championship game 44-20. This season has seen only three close games for the Bulldogs. In fact, they haven’t played a 1 score game since September 22 against Wheaton North in which they won 23-17.
Some interesting people have attended Batavia over the years. Former TNT broadcaster Craig Sager graduated in 1969. A cool fact about Sager is that he interviewed Hank Aaron after he hit home run 715 and broke Babe Ruth’s all-time record. Basketball Hall of Famer Dan Issel attended Batavia (1962-66). After graduating he attended the University of Kentucky to play under legend and former Freeport High School coach Adolph Rupp. Finally, although Joe Burrow is the current Cincinnati Bengals QB, Ken Anderson set the standard for the franchise and a lot of the records that are falling are Anderson's. The Bengals legend graduated from Batavia in 1967.
If you wanted to attend or listen to one game all season long, this is that game. It's going to be a heavy slugfest between talent-rich programs, great coaches, great schools, and most importantly, high school sports at its finest.
How to Watch the Game:
- Purchase tickets here - kickoff from Hononegah’s Kelsey Field is 1 p.m
- Listen to the game here or download the Big Radio App here
- Watch the game online on the NFHS Network - search for Hononegah Varsity Football – a subscription is required for online viewing.