Bud and Sue's Market honored for 62 years of business
The Roscoe Township Historical Society has named Bud and Sue's Market as their 2022 Heritage Enterprise honoree. A plaque signed by Roscoe Township Supervisor Bob Nowicki was given to Bud and Sue Severide on Monday, Sept. 18, 2022.
Bud and Sue have been selling plants in Roscoe for 62 years, since Dwight D. Eisenhower was President. They are open seasonally at 11030 Main Street in Roscoe.
The Heritage Enterprise program honors locally and family-owned businesses that have made cultural, social, and economic commitment or investment in Roscoe Township throughout their existence.
The Roscoe Township Historical Society held the ceremony at the 1840s Cross Homestead, where they will have an antique sale this weekend to raise money to restore the 1840s brick house to its original state. The house was owned by Robert J. Cross, Roscoe's first recorded settler. While the restoration of the home is privately funded, Roscoe Township is using savings to pay for the construction of an adjacent community center, with planned gardens and paths, at what will become Founders Park. Both projects will be completed without any debt or additional taxpayer money.
When I stopped by Bud and Sue's in May, Laura Janes was helping Bud behind the counter. She said she was "a good friend of the family" - Sue had been her babysitter.
I asked Bud and Laura about perennials to plant in a yard which is shaded by large black walnut trees, and they gave me some advice:
- "Anything you put in the ground by those walnut trees, they will not live," asserted Bud.
- "Fuschia will do real well in the shade."
- "Coleus but they're annual."
- "Impatiens are good in the shade."
- "Wax begonias."
More News from Roscoe
- Tis the season for toy drives, fun events, Christmas music and giving back A dozen places to find holiday cheer in Rockton, South Beloit, and Roscoe, in this season of giving and celebration.
- Rockton Police Department welcomes new deputy chief Justin Jobst has served in the Rockton Police Department for 20 years.